Friday, March 11, 2011

Valentines Day and the London Eye

After a few years of officially biffing it on Valentines Day, I knew that during our time in London, this was a now or never chance to salvage my limping reputation as a romantic. Screw this one up, and it was to the dog-house for me.

Forever.

So, departing from my usual male-techniques of logically thinking through ideas, weighing options, and coming to the best conclusion, I walked outside to seek inspiration.

Any inspiration. . . please. . . anything!

Luckily the gods, knowing my impending doom and knowing I was desperate, alerted my Neanderthal brain to a popular place to visit in London. The fact that it also just happens to be colorful, constantly moving, really really big, and visible from most anywhere along the Thames. . . probably helped.

The London Eye is a massive ferris wheel that rotates large capsules holding up to 30 people at a time. The rotations, or “flights”, take 30 minutes and provide spectacular views of London and the Thames. Given that we were going at dusk, we got to see the city transform from twilight to night and watched the city lights illuminate the increasingly dark forms filling the horizon.

The wheel is right across the river from Parliament, and Big Ben, and up river from the City of London. Take a look at the pictures we took:











Thankfully, the gods smiled upon me and I live to write another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment